Brian Craig George Kim
CRAIG SHARMAT • guitar / BRIAN MANN • accordion / KIM COLLINS • bass / GEORGE QUIRIN • guitar
In 2016, The Idiomatiques became the first Gypsy Jazz band in history to place in Billboard's Contemporary Jazz category top 30, spending eleven weeks there. The band combines virtuosic chops with vocals and comedy, mixing GJ, Hot Swing, Latin, Straight Ahead Jazz and R'nB into a sizzling and fun sonic stew.
Inspired by legendary guitarist Django Reinhardt, Craig Sharmat (guitarist, composer) who has produced BoyzIIMen and played with numerous jazz and pop stars, including his own Top 10 hits, decided mid-career to devote himself to this captivating and endlessly challenging music. New to Santa Barbara, he searched fervently for collaborators. Craig was soon able to entice Kim Collins, (bassist, vocalist & Jazz educator) who had played with Ed Shaughnessy, and renowned accordionist, keyboardist & composer Brian Mann (of Larry Carlton, Kenny Loggins & Michael MacDonald fame) subjecting them to the highly contagious Django Virus. In 2015, an injury forced their original rhythm guitarist to retire, making room for versatile guitarist, producer & session player
George Quirin (Gilles Apap, Michael McDonald) to complete the current lineup.
New for 2018, the Idios are excited to have just finished their second CD, "Out On The Town", an effort they take great pride in featuring lots of originals and variety (including a new version of the top 30 tune, “C’est la Vie”). And still going strong, the band's first CD “Let’s Go Have Some Fun” says it all: Django classics, some band originals, a generous dose of humor, and a complete saturation of rollicking swing that make this album a total pleasure cruise.
An exhilarating video of our hot, uptempo original, "Sado Manouche" which is also included on our CD "Let's Go Have Some Fun"
A live, in-studio video of the band working out a new arrangement of the Django classic, "Micro"
• JUlY 21, Sunday, 2:00-3:00 pm • Camarillo Public Library • 4101 Las Posas Rd., Camarillo, CA, 805-388-5222
• AUGUST 11, Sunday, 6:00-7:00 pm • Jazz Vespers @ Northridge UMC • 9650 Reseda Blvd., Northridge, CA, 818-886-1555
• AUGUST 13, Tuesday, 7:30-9:15 pm • Bogies • 32001 Agoura Rd., Westlake Village, CA, 818-879-2394
• NOVEMBER 17, Sunday, 2:00-4:00 pm • Private House Concert in Westlake Village, CA
• DECEMBER 31, Tuesday, 9:00-12:00 pm • NYE at Westlake Village Inn • 32001 Agoura Rd., Westlake Village, CA, 818-879-2394
• FEBRUARY 23, Sunday, 7:30 • SOhO Restaurant & Music Club • 1221 State St., Santa Barbara, 805-962-7776
• AUGUST 11, Tuesday, 7:30-9:15 pm • Bogies • 32001 Agoura Rd., Westlake Village, CA, 818-879-2394 (cancelled due to Covid)
• MARCH 19, Friday, 6:00-7:30 • Arts & Culture Bldg. Balcony • Corner of State & Sola, Downtown Santa Barbara, FREE!
"The Idiomatiques is a guarantee for a great night out when I go see them play live. Their musicianship is top notch. Their passion and pure enjoyment is evident in their performance and arrangements. A joy to listen to and their sense of humor that comes through is the added bonus."
- Danny Lux, multi Emmy-nominated composer & musician
“Out On The Town is a wild ride from one Jazz era to the next, exploring everything from the Hot Jazz of the 1920’s to modern jazz; from Cab Calloway to the funk of the ’80’s, yet all the while staying true to their acoustic, Django Reinhardt-style instrumental approach, and always with outstanding musicianship. This CD is a kind of sampler of what the Idiomatiques can do. Featuring my friend Brian Mann on the jazz squeeze box, with Craig Sharmat - lead guitar, George Quirin - rhythm guitar, and Kim Collins - bass, their merging of jazz styles and eras proves that, for the Idiomatiques, anything is possible”.
- Kenny Loggins, multi-Grammy winning composer & musician
Out On The Town has received radio airplay across the USA! Over 60 stations playing various tracks in their rotation,
leaping into many Top 10 positions, including: KPOO-San Francisco... KSDS-San Diego... WKCR-New York... KJZZ-Phoenix...
KRFC-Ft. Collins... WRTC & WWUH-Hartford (Top 10!)... WDCB-Chicago... WTJU-Charlottesville... KEWU-Spokane...
KKJF-Harlingen... WWSP-Stevens Pt. ... KWCW-Walla Walla... WUMR-Memphis... and the #1 Jazz album at WMNC-Traverse City!
t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s t h e i d i o m a t i q u e s
11 weeks in the Top 30!
Billboard's Contemporary Jazz category for 2016
"C'est La Vie"
by Craig Sharmat
Follow us on Facebook!